Earth Day Slime
Earth Day this year is April 22. I’m a bit of a hippie at heart and I’m not going to lie – this is one of my favorite holidays. I think it’s so important to teach kids about our planet and to get thinking about ways that they can help preserve it.
One easy and fun way to get kids started on the topic of our Earth is to make some of our fun Earth Day slime! It’s super simple. Super glittery and and super fun. (That was a lot of supers.) Our home is pretty much better known as a slime factory, so this was a natural approach for us!
A few quick tips on making Earth Day slime:
- I buy my glue on Amazon. We use clear glue and who would have ever thought, but sometimes stores have glue shortages. I know. Weird.
- The green in our slime was a super fine glitter. The blue is a slightly chunkier glitter. Use what you have or what you like! Both are pretty!
- These containers are amazing. One, my tupperware doesn’t go missing. Two, they are the right size and three, they are inexpensive. Slime must haves!
Supplies for Earth Day Slime:
- 2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp borax
- ½ cup water, room temperature
- (2) 5 oz bottle of clear glue – Elmer’s works best
- Blue Glitter
- Green glitter
- 2 plastic containers for mixing
- 1 slime container for storing
Instructions for making Earth Day slime:
Pour 1 cup hot water into a container. Add ½ tsp borax and mix well.
In a second container, pour ¼ cup of room temperature water. Squeeze a 5 oz bottle of clear glue into the water. (We go through a lot of glue here so we buy it in the larger containers. It’s cheaper and nice to have it on hand!)
Add in the blue glitter. (We used fine glitter for the green but regular glitter for the blue. Use whichever you have on hand or like better!) Stir it all together slowly, but thoroughly.
(Psssst! If you want crystal clear slime – skip the glitter and add ins!)
Pour the glue mixture into the hot water and borax mix. Let it sit for 20-30 seconds. I let it sit just long enough to rinse my empty bowl or you can use a third bowl.
The slime will start to form pretty fast in the hot water. Pull it out and put it in your empty bowl. It will be sticky at this point. That’s ok!
Knead it for a few minutes and it will thicken and set.
Repeat the process, except this time add green glitter instead. Have fun swirling your blue and green slime!
Store in an airtight container.
This post contains affiliate links.